I caught the train to Dundee where I was due to pick up a car so that I could go out to Glamis Castle. I had hoped they would meet me at the station, but it is in chaos, with the development of a huge new station and other buildings. The car hire was only about 15 minutes walk, but I had no idea which way to get through the maze of building works so I opted for a taxi. The driver was a lovely man, who was willing to take me on a journey of literally 3 minutes. I'd like to see that happen in Melbourne!
With the car organised, I headed out of town to see Glamis Castle and arrived in time for the last tour. I was pleased to see the tour guide wearing a dark green polar fleece vest, just like mine. The tartan is predominantly green. I'd love to know whether the House colours were linked to the tartans at all. Something for the archives staff to investigate?
The tour was great. The entertaining rooms were filled with so many fascinating items: paintings, furniture, china, photos, and the galleries in the old part had armour, weapons and a multitude of animal trophies. The guide told the ghost stories, and the mystery of the 'extra' window, and lots of Royal stories. (For those who don't know, Glamis Castle is the birthplace of the Queen Mother, Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, Princess Margaret was born there and as you would expect, the family visited often).
I found the various heraldry shields fascinating. Each one had the lion on the left representing the husband (the original one came over 'with the conquest' from Lyon) and various insignia on the right according to the family of the wife. If he didn't marry, the shield just had a lion taking up the full space. The first shield had a half red, half golden lion on the right, representing the daughter of the king (the female isn't entitled to the full golden lion).
The dining room had a lovely festive display with little trees even on the long table. In the centre was a huge silver plate with a centrepiece of a ship, also in silver. It had been given to the Earl and Countess (grandparents of Elizabeth BL I think) on their Golden Wedding anniversary by the tenants and servants of the estate. The republican inside me finds it extraordinary. There was also a painting of the third Earl and a separate one of the Countess which I noticed were gifts of the tenants and staff.
In the Coach house there was an extended display showing the fortunes and misfortunes of the family through the ages as well as some of the Queen Mother's gowns.
For dinner I crossed another couple off the list, skirlie and black pudding, but it was very gentrified as you'll see from the picture when it comes.
With the car organised, I headed out of town to see Glamis Castle and arrived in time for the last tour. I was pleased to see the tour guide wearing a dark green polar fleece vest, just like mine. The tartan is predominantly green. I'd love to know whether the House colours were linked to the tartans at all. Something for the archives staff to investigate?
The tour was great. The entertaining rooms were filled with so many fascinating items: paintings, furniture, china, photos, and the galleries in the old part had armour, weapons and a multitude of animal trophies. The guide told the ghost stories, and the mystery of the 'extra' window, and lots of Royal stories. (For those who don't know, Glamis Castle is the birthplace of the Queen Mother, Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, Princess Margaret was born there and as you would expect, the family visited often).
I found the various heraldry shields fascinating. Each one had the lion on the left representing the husband (the original one came over 'with the conquest' from Lyon) and various insignia on the right according to the family of the wife. If he didn't marry, the shield just had a lion taking up the full space. The first shield had a half red, half golden lion on the right, representing the daughter of the king (the female isn't entitled to the full golden lion).
The dining room had a lovely festive display with little trees even on the long table. In the centre was a huge silver plate with a centrepiece of a ship, also in silver. It had been given to the Earl and Countess (grandparents of Elizabeth BL I think) on their Golden Wedding anniversary by the tenants and servants of the estate. The republican inside me finds it extraordinary. There was also a painting of the third Earl and a separate one of the Countess which I noticed were gifts of the tenants and staff.
In the Coach house there was an extended display showing the fortunes and misfortunes of the family through the ages as well as some of the Queen Mother's gowns.
For dinner I crossed another couple off the list, skirlie and black pudding, but it was very gentrified as you'll see from the picture when it comes.
No comments:
Post a Comment