Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Glastonbury, Wells and Bath

I travelled up from Cornwall to Bath via Glastonbury and Wells - two places I had heard lots about over the years. I enjoyed the Abbey and Tor at Glastonbury, but what I wasn't expecting is that it seems to be the centre for every form of religion. The High street bookshops were filled with books on every spirituality belief and myth as well as plenty of self help guides. I did like The Goddess and the Green Man which had its window filled with decorations ready for MidWinter festival, which not surprisingly looked very similar to some Christmas decorations. There was also a crystal shop similar to our favourite one up at Olinda where you can buy crystals to help with most of your problems. (I looked for a 'make reports easier to write' but couldn't find one). Arthurian legends got a look in (Arthur and Genevieve are supposed to be buried at Glastonbury abbey) and there were the usual fairy type stores as well.
The Tor was virtually deserted except for some sheep gently grazing. It was a clear day, and the view from the top was superb. The hill fort layers are hard to see - presumably because of erosion.

I could have spent a whole day at Wells. The Cathedral was beautiful and I loved the clock which has little figures which come out jousting every 15 minutes. Unfortunately, just as I arrived, so too did a large number of middle primary aged students, which didn't really allow peace, tranquility and contemplation, although I was contemplating what I could do to shut them up!
I then wandered into the Bishop's Palace area, with its magnificent gardens, moat, and the springs which make Wells famous. This was much more peaceful and I loved the gardens with the old spreading trees dressed in autumn colours. I was fascinated to see how they manage the water flow of the spring, ponds and various channels. The view of the Cathedral from the gardens was simply stunning.
I didn't realise until later that I had missed Bishop's Row. Oh well, it will give me a reason to go back, and I'll plan to stay longer next time.

Arrival in Bath was complicated by road closures and an extraordinary number of cars for the official turning on of the Christmas lights. There were thousands there! BBC Somerset was hosting it and they incorporated a charity event of a group of students riding a rickshaw from Llandudno in North West Wales to London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008dk4b/features/cin-rickshaw-challenge-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment