It's 5 o'clock and I'm sitting on the ferry, footsore and weary after a mammoth trek from Riomaggiore to Portovenere. Mammoth because I lost my way several times, had to backtrack up and down goat tracks and in the end lost the path completely with another couple and we bush-bashed our way to le Grazie instead of Portovenere. Two very kind gentlemen explained where I was and told me about the bus to get around, so I was in time to catch the last ferry and still see a bit of the town. In the end the walk took 7 hours instead of the expected 5. Portovenere is south of the actual Cinque Terre but it is included with the ferry linking and the main hill path starting from there. Unfortunately, except for that path, the paths aren't clearly marked with the red and white stripes or numbers and there are lots of meandering paths. The walk was beautiful though, with lovely woods and stunning coastal vistas. Coming back on the ferry I can see settlements of 5-15 houses in scattered groups clinging to the cliffs and I have to wonder how they get basic supplies in.
...
Back in the apartment there are four new people and Travis who was going to leave was still there, having decided to stay a few extra days. Travis and I take a bottle of wine up to see yet another brilliant sunset, then later we all gather around the table chatting. We've only had English speakers here, from Australia and the US, so conversation has been easy.
...
Morning now, and early morning rain has gently soaked the pants I left out to dry. I'm heading back to Pisa today in readiness for a very early flight on Wednesday morning to start my walk in Catalonia. There's a great museum in La Spezia which I will drop into on the way too.
...
Back in the apartment there are four new people and Travis who was going to leave was still there, having decided to stay a few extra days. Travis and I take a bottle of wine up to see yet another brilliant sunset, then later we all gather around the table chatting. We've only had English speakers here, from Australia and the US, so conversation has been easy.
...
Morning now, and early morning rain has gently soaked the pants I left out to dry. I'm heading back to Pisa today in readiness for a very early flight on Wednesday morning to start my walk in Catalonia. There's a great museum in La Spezia which I will drop into on the way too.
No comments:
Post a Comment