The wind blew fiercely overnight, and it was still windy when I headed out to Port de la Selva. The route was inland, across the back of the headlands, through what appeared to be abandoned rural areas. I was walking into the wind, and for the first time on the trip I had long pants and a long sleeved shirt on, both light though. The views across the bays were lovely and I could also see across to the mountains, including the mountain which would be my last day's walk.
I passed small huts made from slate, abandoned farmer's shelters. I could imagine how cold this area would be in winter, with rain blowing horizontally across the headlands.
The only evidence of others were some hoof prints and horse droppings - it would have been a beautiful track to ride. Unlike the previous day of walking, this was easy, mostly flat around the hills, once I'd reached the required elevation.
The descent into Port de la Selva was rocky but not too hard, and a bit more sheltered.
Port de la Selva was virtually deserted. Granted, I had arrived at siesta time so the shops were shut, but even later in the evening, the only people around were a few intrepid windsurfers having a great time in the windy conditions on the bay.
Apparently it's a fishing village, and there were certainly plenty of boats moored in the bay, but I expected a few more people. Lunch options were limited to 2 restaurants on the main square, both quite pricey: even the supermarket was closed 'for the season'. That said, I had a delicious late lunch with very fresh seafood.
The hotel was also a health resort; unfortunately, being off season, there was only one person doing any massages, and she was already booked. It had an interesting decor though, a of traditional Spanish, modern art, classical pieces, including a fascinating picture of the different amphorae across the Mediterranean, and Egyptian images.
In my room I had a pyramid and a living bamboo plant as well as a whole range of spa type brushes.
I passed small huts made from slate, abandoned farmer's shelters. I could imagine how cold this area would be in winter, with rain blowing horizontally across the headlands.
The only evidence of others were some hoof prints and horse droppings - it would have been a beautiful track to ride. Unlike the previous day of walking, this was easy, mostly flat around the hills, once I'd reached the required elevation.
The descent into Port de la Selva was rocky but not too hard, and a bit more sheltered.
Port de la Selva was virtually deserted. Granted, I had arrived at siesta time so the shops were shut, but even later in the evening, the only people around were a few intrepid windsurfers having a great time in the windy conditions on the bay.
Apparently it's a fishing village, and there were certainly plenty of boats moored in the bay, but I expected a few more people. Lunch options were limited to 2 restaurants on the main square, both quite pricey: even the supermarket was closed 'for the season'. That said, I had a delicious late lunch with very fresh seafood.
The hotel was also a health resort; unfortunately, being off season, there was only one person doing any massages, and she was already booked. It had an interesting decor though, a of traditional Spanish, modern art, classical pieces, including a fascinating picture of the different amphorae across the Mediterranean, and Egyptian images.
In my room I had a pyramid and a living bamboo plant as well as a whole range of spa type brushes.
No comments:
Post a Comment