I went up to Cambridge to visit Zoe Wyatt who finished at PLC a few years back and is studying maths. She met me in the market square and showed me some of the sights including her college which has the distinction of having the second longest corridor in Europe. Then I wandered back into the town to visit the King's College Chapel and have a punt ride on the River Cam. Not really the weather for it - even with a blanket and hot water bottle my hands were very cold, because I kept taking them out to take photos. The attraction of the ride is that you get to see the bridges and the backs of colleges, as most of the colleges own the land along the river and you can't access it unless you are in the college. It was very scenic, and the student doing the punting gave an informative and entertaining commentary about the colleges on the way down and the bridges on the way back. Highly recommended.
Kings College chapel had an amazing array of stained glass windows, which were created over a period of 25 years, which I consider to be a short time in Cathedral terms. Henry VI created the College and ordered the chapel to be built, but it took sometime to be completed, with each of the following kings adding their bit. Henry VIII had an enormous screen carved with his initials and Anne Boleyn's (before she fell out of favour). In the side chapel area there was a section on Henry VI who was Sainted. A map showed all the miracles which had supposedly happened in his name across the country. I don't remember learning about that in History at all.
Kings College chapel had an amazing array of stained glass windows, which were created over a period of 25 years, which I consider to be a short time in Cathedral terms. Henry VI created the College and ordered the chapel to be built, but it took sometime to be completed, with each of the following kings adding their bit. Henry VIII had an enormous screen carved with his initials and Anne Boleyn's (before she fell out of favour). In the side chapel area there was a section on Henry VI who was Sainted. A map showed all the miracles which had supposedly happened in his name across the country. I don't remember learning about that in History at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment