I was expecting a fairly restricted diet here; meat and potatoes and plenty of beer (which I don't drink). So far it has lived up to its reputation. There are plenty of options on the menu but basically they are meat of some sort and potato or dumplings or perhaps rice. You can get vegetables (frozen carrots and beans and broccoli) as a side dish but the waiter looks at you a bit strangely. So I decided to go to an Italian restaurant before I went to the opera. It wasn't until I was eating my meal that it occurred to me I was still eating the same; I had ordered gnocchi with chicken and spinach!
I'm delighted to find that their hot chocolate is Italian style. Not as thick, but definitely all chocolate. I had one in a lovely Art Nouveau cafe in the Municipal Buildings at Republic Square. Gorgeous place - photos coming!! *note how good I am getting at locations. I can even find my way around the old city without getting too lost now!
I've been drinking cheap glüwein several times a day, which is available at stalls wherever you wander in the city. It averages 40 crowns a cup which is $2. Not bad for something that warms you through. Cheaper and nicer than their coffee which I don't think they do particularly well.
One thing I didn't expect was that they still allow smoking in restaurants. They officially have non-smoking sections, but those of you who are old enough will know how useless that concept was. Luckily I haven't been too bothered by it. The restaurant that the hotel recommends (which offers a discount) obviously doesn't allow it, because I've seen patrons standing outside the door smoking.
I'm sitting at the moment in a lovely restaurant which has a jazz guitarist playing. Yes, I chose it for the live music. When you dine alone having 'company' is important, whether it's updating the blog or listening to some music or, in this case, both.
The dining alone hasn't bothered me except that I have to consciously slow down my eating. When you are with someone you tend to eat more slowly because you are also talking.
Tomorrow I have actually booked a table because most restaurants are closed on Christmas Eve. The traditional meal is carp, which has been available for sale on the streets. They have large tubs of water with the fish swimming around, and pull them out, kill and clean them on the spot. The restaurant I'm going to though, will have a la carte as well.
Also on the streets have been the Christmas food stalls. Glüwein, of course and a sweet bread trdnelnik which is created in a spiral on a hot iron rod then coated in sugar and cinnamon. A lot of kids wear it on their wrist like a bracelet while they eat it. Then there are various sausages, potato and cabbage, and very expensive ham which has been roasting on wood fueled spits next to the stall. I also saw some soup today.
There are also some stalls selling the traditional gingerbread. I haven't Ben tempted by any of the sweet things, although I did try a trdnelnik because I felt I should. It was ok, but I wouldn't rush back for a second one.
I'm delighted to find that their hot chocolate is Italian style. Not as thick, but definitely all chocolate. I had one in a lovely Art Nouveau cafe in the Municipal Buildings at Republic Square. Gorgeous place - photos coming!! *note how good I am getting at locations. I can even find my way around the old city without getting too lost now!
I've been drinking cheap glüwein several times a day, which is available at stalls wherever you wander in the city. It averages 40 crowns a cup which is $2. Not bad for something that warms you through. Cheaper and nicer than their coffee which I don't think they do particularly well.
One thing I didn't expect was that they still allow smoking in restaurants. They officially have non-smoking sections, but those of you who are old enough will know how useless that concept was. Luckily I haven't been too bothered by it. The restaurant that the hotel recommends (which offers a discount) obviously doesn't allow it, because I've seen patrons standing outside the door smoking.
I'm sitting at the moment in a lovely restaurant which has a jazz guitarist playing. Yes, I chose it for the live music. When you dine alone having 'company' is important, whether it's updating the blog or listening to some music or, in this case, both.
The dining alone hasn't bothered me except that I have to consciously slow down my eating. When you are with someone you tend to eat more slowly because you are also talking.
Tomorrow I have actually booked a table because most restaurants are closed on Christmas Eve. The traditional meal is carp, which has been available for sale on the streets. They have large tubs of water with the fish swimming around, and pull them out, kill and clean them on the spot. The restaurant I'm going to though, will have a la carte as well.
Also on the streets have been the Christmas food stalls. Glüwein, of course and a sweet bread trdnelnik which is created in a spiral on a hot iron rod then coated in sugar and cinnamon. A lot of kids wear it on their wrist like a bracelet while they eat it. Then there are various sausages, potato and cabbage, and very expensive ham which has been roasting on wood fueled spits next to the stall. I also saw some soup today.
There are also some stalls selling the traditional gingerbread. I haven't Ben tempted by any of the sweet things, although I did try a trdnelnik because I felt I should. It was ok, but I wouldn't rush back for a second one.
No comments:
Post a Comment