Monday, 24 December 2012

Religious images

In the spirit of Christmas I present some interesting religious images from the least religious country in Europe.


A Black Madonna!! I am fascinated by these, we look at them in Western Dreaming. This one was in the church which stood on this site, but the church burned down and the Madonna was miraculously saved. It now sits on the outside and the building is called the House of the Black Madonna. The building is also interesting. It is Cubist architecture. Apparently Prague is the only place where it exists and there are several examples in the inner city. I'll post the images of the buildings later.



This is the shrine of the Baby Jesus, which I think came from Spain centuries ago by a Spanish bride of one of the royalty. On specific religious occasions the outfit is changed with great ceremony. The outfits are very ornate, made from very expensive material, sewn with jewels and lace.


A close up

Here are two of the outfits on display in the museum. They have come from all over the world, from governments and from individuals.
This was a gift from Japan




And here are some of the pictures of other outfits. The stairway is lined with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment